Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wild and Crazy Athens

Things are going well in Greece. We're winding down our time in Athens (which has gone by fast). This morning we finished a kids camp at the refugee centre. There were 30 + kids and their moms. It was crazy, but fun. Tonight we have English classes and a Bible teaching time. I've been learning alot and feeling very blessed to have been given this opportunity to be here.

Tomorrow night we will fly to London, then I fly home. It's been quite the adventure! Yesterday we packed 11 people plus a guitar into a tiny car. We were at some people's house and it got late so they were going to give us a ride home. It was about a 15 minute drive. Susannah was crammed with 2 other people in the little hatch and I was crammed up in the front. Other people on the road were giving us funny looks and smiling. Another thing...I got to ride a motorbike!! It was really fun, kind of like the dirtbikes we ride at home. It was in our neighborhood, which is quiet and I went around the blocks. (Susannah would like to interject a comment: The guys now call Yvonne "the man" because she does crazy things ...in a very nice, not-manly way of course)

(my camera battery died and I don't have any more so sorry, no more pictures. I will have to put lots on when I get home or show them to you in person!!!)

Things I like about Greece:

-gyros and souvlaki
-ice cream (although nothing compares to Italy)
-kind people at the refugee center
-crazy traffic (yesterday I ran across the road yelling "we're gonna die, we're gonna die")
-fresh donuts at the train station (for breakfast)
-The outdoor market
-Beautiful ocean
-riding the train
-Corinth, the Acropolis, Mars Hill
-walking in the middle of the street or anywhere you want

Things I don't like as much:

-pigeons
-people smoking
-sickly dogs and cats
-grumpy salespeople
-garbage everywhere
-graffiti

No comments: