Sunday, May 20, 2007

Paris







Susannah, Grace, and I had quite the adventures in Paris...

The first night we went on a cruise on the Seine River, to the Eiffel Tower at night (which is gorgeous), and walked around the Arc de Triomphe, and down the Champs Elysees.

The second day we all split up and did different things. I walked to Notre Dame because I heard there were free English tours at 12pm. This little old lady was the tour guide...a British lady who has lived in Paris for 30 years. Her name was Marita Kern and she was just so cute. There were only 3 of us in the group. It was really neat to talk with her and learn so many things about this amazing Church. I stayed there for 2 1/2 hours...she talked alot but it was interesting (not about Notre Dame the whole time, but about life and faith and theology etc.) I'm very glad I went. I strolled through the streets, ate a croissant (yumm!) and had a really nice afternoon.

That night Susannah and I hung around the hotel, went to buy some groceries and found a local Parisian restaurant for supper. (totally out of the touristy areas). I used my limited French and ordered some supper. It was lots of fun.

On our last day in Paris, we went out to see the Palace of Versailles. It is a 40 minute train ride outside Paris. We navigated the Metro pretty well and the Palace and gardens were beautiful!! We split up for a bit and were supposed to meet at 5pm to go back. I waited for Grace and she didn't show up....we were getting worried and waited for a couple hours. Finally we decided that we should just go back and she would find her way. We had to take a bunch of different metro lines to get back to our hotel. Later that night we found Grace, she had decided to stay longer and thought that we wouldn't wait for her...she was going to find her own way back! We were very happy to see her though!!

Susannah and I got up at 3am to get to the airport to fly to Greece. We had kind of a creepy, too-friendly, taxi driver. We were happy to get to the airport. He offered to take us for coffee at 3:30am....NO THANK YOU!

I liked Paris...there is lots to see and I really liked the architecture and river area. Definitely a place I'd like to explore some more. (and brush up on my French)

No comments: