Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Switzerland--my "almost" adventure

We just spent 2 days in Switzerland (which is a beautiful country). I was really looking forward to going paragliding. There is an adventure company near Luzern where I was going to do this. Susannah even drew a picture on my hand because I was so excited.
I called the company in the morning and the weather was pretty nice, but they said it was too windy to go up! I was really disappointed...I've always wanted to jump off a cliff. Susannah was a little bit relieved that I wasn't going :) ...because if I was, she was so torn whether or not to come with me! Anyway, I'm glad to report that I'm still alive. I'll just have to go paragliding sometime at home. Anybody want to come with me????
This is what I COULD've looked like (above)
This is as close as I came to paragliding in Switzerland! (below)
p.s. You may wonder who "Muffy" is....well Susannah has given me that nickname on this trip and we have had numerous laughs about it. It started with me making a comment that my hair looked like a poodle...how come I always get nicknames from my hair? :)
Along the lake in Lugano
"The Old Chapel Bridge" in Luzern

We went to a Swiss Alpine show in Luzern. It was quite fun....they had all types of Swiss music (I even learned how to yodel--ask me for a demonstration sometime!). There was the big "ricola" horns, bells, bottles, accordians, etc. It also included a traditional cheese fondue which was delicious! It was a fun night.
"Yvonne passes out trying to maintain a tradition of holding her breath through a tunnel"
Yes, the other day we drove through the Gotthard tunnel is Switzerland, which is 17 km long!!! No, I didn't actually try and hold my breath but I tell you, that would have been quite the feat. The tunnel goes through a mountain and you can imagine that often the weather can be quite different entering the tunnel than exiting it.


1 comment:

Jamiedelweiss said...

I'm only used to holding my breath in the tunnel out of Richmond; that only takes 30 seconds. Srry about the para-sailing. Next pics will be France; those'll be something too.