Thursday, May 10, 2007

Rhine Cruise

The other day (I can't remember when...my days seem to all blend together!), on our way from Amsterdam to Frankfurt, we stopped and took a 2-hr cruise on the Rhine River. Vineyards, small villages, and castles line the banks of the river. By the end of the cruise it started raining and blowing quite hard...all the chairs on the top deck were blowing everywhere.
Cruising the Rhine

A castle up on the hilltop






We stopped in Nuremberg (in the Bavaria region of Germany) on our way from Frankfurt to Prague. This city was quite significant during the time of Nazi Germany. The Nazi party held many rallies here and eventally the war tribunals were held here as well. This is Nuremberg Castle behind me. We were here for lunch...down in the main square they had this cute market with flowers, vegetables, fruit, and fresh gingerbread. I ate pastries for lunch. (don't worry mom, I don't do this everyday! ha ha)


flowers in the market


Throughout most of Europe there are open borders between countries (many countries are part of the European Union and use the Euro as currency.) The Czech Republic has just recently joined the European Union but still has border patrol (we had to stop and show our passports) and they use Czech Crowns for currency.


We had a picnic at the border (we've been doing that a lot...picnicing that is.) We usually take some extra fruit/bread from breakfast and eat it during the day. We've been pretty good and scrimping and saving our money! But not so much that we don't enjoy ourselves. It's one of those balance things....it's nice to travel and enjoy a vacation, but at the same time I want to spend my money wisely. I realize that being able to travel and experience these things is a blessing from God.

Krista, I know what you mean about wearing the same coat all the time while travelling. :) I think the reoccuring theme in all my pictures is going to be my red jacket!

No comments: