Sunday, May 20, 2007

Greece




Guess what I did today....I jumped off this bridge. NO JOKE!! We were on our way for a day trip to Corinth. We stopped at the Corinth Canal, built thousands of years ago, connecting the 2 seas. There was a bungee-jumping place (featured on the Amazing Race last season!) and some of us really wanted to do it! I really wanted to do it....so 5 guys from our team and myself signed up to jump. Our whole group got to come out onto the bridge to watch and take pictures. It was AWESOME! I loved it. The initial jumping off part was scary but such a great feeling. I have some sweet pictures of me with a really scared look on my face!! I'll have to get some of those pics up soon.

Work here in Athens has been really good so far. I'm tired, but I've been learning so much and been challenged. These refugees really have an impact on my life. It's hard to sum it up in a few words right now, but God is really working on me as I think about my future ministry and loving people, and serving them, and building friendships with people. It's really cool.

We've done a feeding ministry, English classes, home visits, a kids program, a prayer walk, and a worship service so far. Tomorrow we are taking free family or individual portraits for anybody that wants one. I hope lots of people will show up.

p.s. I love Greek food. Tzatziki sauce, fried cheese, souvlaki, feta cheese, pita bread. yum!

3 comments:

Home said...

Wow!!! What a thrill. See Yvonne, I knew you and I should've gone on the Amazing Race :) You could've done the bungee jumping - no problem.

Jamiedelweiss said...

Ah yes, Greek food IS so good. So how did they dig that canal a thousand years ago; I betcha they didn't have dynamite?! Bunjee Jumping; wow; the closest thing I did was jump off the 10m diving board; and THAT was already too scary.
~ stay far away from the creepers!

amy said...

You crazy girl!! Happy to hear about the adventures you're having, and I look forward to seeing more pictures of the big jump when they get posted. The one thing I'm worried about, regarding your trip, is how I'm going to entertain you the next time you come visit me in Regina. You've already seen the museum...
Anyways, love ya lots!! Thanks for the postcard!