Sunday, May 13, 2007

Venice the magical city

Venice

the beautiful Grand Canal

taking a water taxi

For the last few days, I`ve been in Italy, enjoying their delicious coffee, and trying not to get pooped on by the hoards of pigeons. It`s been quite hot, which is nice for a change...to be out in the sunshine!!! yahoo. From Germany we drove through the Austrian Alps down into Italy.
We stayed in Venice, which is a beautiful city. The city is built on wooden piles in the middle of a lagoon. Quite amazing actually. Walking through some of the backstreets, I was reminded of India (some of the smells). We took a gondola ride...which was even serenaded by this funky Italian guy. All the streets are water, so we also took water taxis down the Grand Canal, passing water buses, private boats, and also some cruise ships.

"Yvonne`s Gelato marathon in Italy"... it was my goal in Italy to try as many types of gelato as I could. I won`t tell you how many it ended up being. ha ha But if you guess the right number, I`ll take you out for a gelato sometime, ok?

We are staying in the small town of Lugano, Switzerland. It is in the Italian lake district and they still speak Italian here. It is a beautiful town...looks similar to Harrison Hot Springs. Tonight we walked around the town, it is quite pleasant.

Happy Mother`s Day Mom (and Heather and Grandma too!) I was thinking about you....hope you have a nice day! Love you

5 comments:

Jamiedelweiss said...

Mmm gelato, was it 15? Lugano sounds cozy.

Krista said...

I wish I was there too Yvonne!!! Ok...hmmm...I'm going to have to guess 10!

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
melissa said...

Yvonne, I'm guessing 19!
Guess what? The lady sent me the money!! In 3 parts, a third now, a third at Christmas, and a third next May. Praise the Lord!! He is soo good. Love ya!

Mangolinihead said...

Ha ha... what's gelato? I guess 8...