Monday, May 7, 2007

Amsterdam

Susannah and I were walking past Buckingham Palace in London yesterday when I was wondering..."I wonder how long it would take the guards to tackle me down if I were to jump over the fence and just start running?" hmm...I guessed about 10 seconds tops. Although that would be an utterly crazy thing to do, there's something about it that would be exciting...give you a real rush. (I mean, what's the worst that could happen?) As we talked and laughed about this, I thought--"If we, relatively normal and sane people, think that would be a tad adventurous and even would joke about doing it, I can imagine that some people out there would be willing to try it!"

We left London very early this morning, drove to Dover where we crossed the English Channel to Calais, France. From there, we drove through part of France, Belgium, and up to Amsterdam. We saw many dairy farms, and windmills. Apparantly 1/3 of the land in the Netherlands is reclaimed land that is below sea level (kind of like Richmond I guess), and they have over 300 people per sqare mile!! (Canada has something like 5 people per square mile). The canola fields are blooming here (which they call "rape seed"?)

We took a canal cruise in Amsterdam and it is fascinating. We saw the Anne Frank House...that story has always fascinated me. We had supper at a cute little streetside cafe (not to be confused with "coffee houses" in Amsterdam where you can smoke marijuana!)

It was a good day...I'm reading a good Elizabeth Elliot book on the bus ("A Slow and Certain Light"), while looking out the window every so often of course. Maybe one day I'll write a book (an autobiography or something like that)...hopefully I'll have an adventuresome and meaningful life/walk with God so I have something to write about!


The Amsterdam Canals

4 comments:

melissa said...

I will definetly want to read your book! Of course you'll have tons to write about. I enjoy reading your blog, keep em coming! We miss you here! love melissa

amy said...

CRUNCHY!!! How I miss you!!! No comment regarding the "relatively normal and sane people" part of your email:) It sounds like you're having an amazing time! Enjoy the rest of your travels.
Love, Amy

Jamiedelweiss said...

It must be nice to drive thru France, Belgium, and Amsterdam. I didn't realize Europe was so synced up like that. I like the idea of having a car. 'hope your day goes swell - tell us all about it! Jamz.

Allison said...

I love reading your blog, and I too would enjoy reading your book Poopsie cause you always come back from trips with interesting stories. You could lable a chapter "Poop from all over the world" :) he he
I didn't realize that when you said Susanna that it's Susanna! Please tell her I say hi!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
love
Allison